Reference numberLH000494DescriptionFremantle Asylum, Finnerty Street. Ten acres of land bounded by Skinner, Finnerty and Shuffrey Streets was selected as the site for the asylum. The building was designed by Lieutenant Colonel E.Y.W. Henderson and built with the help of convict labour. Work began in 1861. It was built of local limestone, the blocks being squared but not coursed. The windows were glazed in small diamond panes and the roof was made of hand split shingles of she-oak. W.A. hardwood jarrah was also used and imported iron oregon, redwood and cedar. This section was completed in 1865. The first patients were admitted July August 1864. 1886-1867 An extra ward was added; designed by George Temple-Poole and built by Robert and Arthur Bunning. 1890 Two storey wing added for extra ward space and accommodation for the matron. Architect G. Temple-Poole, builders Bunning Bos. 1894 Two final sections built. One facing south, the other east. Architect G. Temple-Poole. The south section was built by Bunning Bros. and provided more ward space for women patients and a dining room. The east section was three stories: ground floor - doctors and nurses quarters: first floor - four bed wards for private patients: top floor - further nurses accommodation. Builder John Milne. By 1908 all the lunatics were removed from the Fremantle Asylum and moved to Claremont. From 1909 to 1942 the building was used as an Old Womens Home. 1942-1945 Building served as war time headquarters for the American Forces stationed in Fremantle (Receiving Barracks U.S.N.) Post war it was a temporary venue for technical education classes. 1968/9-1970/2 Restored by architect Mr R.McK. Campbell. Museum section opened 1970. Fremantle Arts Centre (South wing) opened October 1972. Source: Beryl Porter Fremantle Lunatic Asylum 1865-1984 See also: 362.2 and 725.53 Miscellany FileDate1897Photograph FormatPhotographDigital ItemYes
RestrictionsContact the Fremantle History CentreConditions of useYou may print copy or download images for private research. This image may be reproduced for non-commercial purposes with acknowledgement e.g. [Image courtesy of City of Fremantle History Centre - Reference number]. To obtain copies for commercial purposes or of a higher resolution contact the Fremantle History Centre via email lhc@fremantle.wa.gov.auLocationPhotographic Collection
Click on the image to add a tag or press ESC to cancel
Fremantle Asylum, Finnerty Street (1897). City of Fremantle Local History Centre, accessed 19/01/2026, https://history.fremantle.wa.gov.au/nodes/view/15589