Reference numberES00150DescriptionOctober 1972 Parry Street facade of former Synagogue bulding, corner South Terrace and Parry Street. Designed by Oldham and Eales, it was the first purpose built synagogue in the state. Elias Solomon, a trustee of the local Hebrew congregation, Federal Member for the district and former Mayor, laid the fountain stone on 8 January 1902 and Mr J McCracken completed the building some months later. By 1910 the Jewish population had mainly moved to Perth and the synagogue was sold. In 1924 William Beer occupied and operated an auction mart from the premises. Sometime in the 1920's a brick corrugated iron rear addition and garage (1925) were completed. In March 1932 Beer acquired ownership of the property and Council approved plans on 20 June for a new brick frontage. Known as " Beer's Buildings", the work was completed by A.H. and H.A. Thorpe of West Perth, at a cost of 650 pounds. The building was acquired by Council in 1969 and leased to for various commercial purposes over the years (Barri's Rugs, Skid Rose a clothing outlet and gallery and various cafes / restaurants). Council sold the building in 2004.Date1972PhotographerEdmonds, MurrayPhotograph FormatSlideDigital ItemYes
RestrictionsContact the Fremantle History CentreConditions of useYou may print copy or download images for private research. This image may be reproduced for non-commercial purposes with acknowledgement e.g. [Image courtesy of City of Fremantle History Centre - Reference number]. To obtain copies for commercial purposes or of a higher resolution contact the Fremantle History Centre via email lhc@fremantle.wa.gov.auLocationPhotographic Collection