Reference numberES00258DescriptionFormer Princess May Girls' School corner of Parry (originally Edward) and Cantonment Streets- south east elevation. Designed by the Public Works Department, the school was constructed of Cottesloe limestone and completed by Mr M. Barry in 1900. In 1957 pupils transferred to a new co-educational high school known as John Curtin and the old school served as an annexe for excess pupils until 1968. It then fell into disuse until it was restored as a Community Education Centre in 1974-75. Officially opened by the Federal Minister for Education Mr Kim Beazley Snr, on 23 November 1975, it was the first centre of its kind in the state.Date1970PhotographerEdmonds, MurrayPhotograph FormatSlideDigital ItemYes
RestrictionsContact the Fremantle History CentreConditions of useYou may print copy or download images for private research. This image may be reproduced for non-commercial purposes with acknowledgement e.g. [Image courtesy of City of Fremantle History Centre - Reference number]. To obtain copies for commercial purposes or of a higher resolution contact the Fremantle History Centre via email lhc@fremantle.wa.gov.auLocationPhotographic Collection
Click on the image to add a tag or press ESC to cancel
Former Princess May Girls' School (1970). City of Fremantle Local History Centre, accessed 14/01/2026, https://history.fremantle.wa.gov.au/nodes/view/15054