Reference numberLH000294DescriptionUnveiling of Fremantle War Memorial, 11th November 1928. Early in 1919, J.W. Bateman, in conjunction with other prominent citizens initiated a movement to erect a suitable memorial to perpetuate the memory of the city's fallen heroes. A deputation of relatives of the fallen soldiers approached the Mayor Mr. F.E. Gibson, folowing the Armistice Day service. He pledged the Council's full assistance to the committee of citizens formed to erect the memorial. The deputation of citizens (Messrs W. Watson, J.J. Higham and Captain Laurie) suggested that the obelisk on Monument Hill be replaced by a suitable memorial and the whole area made into a beauty spot. The design of the stone memorial was prepared by the honorary architects Joseph F. Allen and C.H. Nicholas. Moves were initiated by the committee to raise the necessary finance, however the response was not forthcoming. It was not until 1927 that vigorous efforts were made to complete the project. In all 6000 pounds was raised by public subscription. The sculptor Pietro Porcelli was involved in the project in 1925, however it is unlikely he was involved in 1927.Date1928PhotographerOrloff, A. Photograph FormatPhotographDigital ItemYes
RestrictionsContact the Fremantle History CentreConditions of useYou may print copy or download images for private research. This image may be reproduced for non-commercial purposes with acknowledgement e.g. [Image courtesy of City of Fremantle History Centre - Reference number]. To obtain copies for commercial purposes or of a higher resolution contact the Fremantle History Centre via email lhc@fremantle.wa.gov.auLocationPhotographic Collection
Click on the image to add a tag or press ESC to cancel
Unveiling of Fremantle War Memorial (1928). City of Fremantle Local History Centre, accessed 17/02/2026, https://history.fremantle.wa.gov.au/nodes/view/15409