Reference numberLH000489DescriptionThe old Fremantle traffic bridge was commenced in May 1863 and was completed by convict labour in 1866. During the first two years of construction the average number of men employed was 48 and of these 28 worked in chain gangs, mainly quarrying and blasting for the approaches. The two men responsible for the design and construction were Captain Grain, R.E., and James Manning, Clerk of Works. In the early 1890s the bridge was reported to be unsafe and in 1892 the maximum load allowed on the bridge was reduced to 1 and 1/4 tons. A new bridge was built alongside in 1898 but at a much lower level. On the opening of the low level bridge on 28.09.1898, the old bridge was closed to all except pedestrian traffic. It was intended that the low level bridge would only be a temporary structure while the old bridge was removed and replaced with a wider structure having two 75 foot navigation openings. However, in 1908 when Fremantle and North Fremantle Councils wished to extend the tramway system to North Fremantle, they found that the low bridge was at the wrong level and had an awkward approach. An inspection of the old high level bridge revealed that of 319 piles examined, 306 were absolutely sound, and only 13 had some defect. No piles had to be renewed. In view of its excellent condition the old bridge was renovated (the hump was removed and the bridge widened.) The low level bridge was closed on 18.06.1909 and later demolished. Its piles were discovered to be in a poor state.) Apart from being redecked in 1915, the high level bridge continued in service until December 1939, when the present bridge opened. Source: Western Roads Vol 4 No 2, July 1979 See: 624.2 Miscellany File.Date1908Photograph FormatPhotographDigital ItemYes
RestrictionsContact the Fremantle History CentreConditions of useYou may print copy or download images for private research. This image may be reproduced for non-commercial purposes with acknowledgement e.g. [Image courtesy of City of Fremantle History Centre - Reference number]. To obtain copies for commercial purposes or of a higher resolution contact the Fremantle History Centre via email lhc@fremantle.wa.gov.auLocationPhotographic Collection
Click on the image to add a tag or press ESC to cancel
The old Fremantle traffic bridge (1908). City of Fremantle Local History Centre, accessed 19/03/2026, https://history.fremantle.wa.gov.au/nodes/view/15581