Reference numberLH000550BDescriptionShows various harbour buildings including a row of pay offices in the centre. Note the Fremantle Municipal Tramways power house and stack, built 1905 (architect J.H. Eales) and demolished May 1961. The time ball on the Fremantle Harbour Trust office tower was hoisted 3 minutes to 1pm and fell as the 1pm gun fired. These offices were in use until 1962 when they were demolished and replaced by the Fremantle Port Authority building opened on 5.03.1964. The rectangular building on left contained waiting rooms (including a ladies waiting room) bookstall etc. Weather reports were displayed on the north end. In 1917-1919 this building was the Waterside Labour Allocation Bureau (see photo 2688). There is a laden mail van with a shunting engine. All mail was taken from the wharf to Perth. This part of the wharf was called Victoria Quay West. There was 300 ft of ramp rising 1ft in 100 ft to the main level of the wharf.Date1907Photograph FormatPhotographDigital ItemYes
RestrictionsContact the Fremantle History CentreConditions of useYou may print copy or download images for private research. This image may be reproduced for non-commercial purposes with acknowledgement e.g. [Image courtesy of City of Fremantle History Centre - Reference number]. To obtain copies for commercial purposes or of a higher resolution contact the Fremantle History Centre via email lhc@fremantle.wa.gov.auLocationPhotographic Collection
Click on the image to add a tag or press ESC to cancel
Victoria Quay at Cliff Street (1907). City of Fremantle Local History Centre, accessed 20/03/2026, https://history.fremantle.wa.gov.au/nodes/view/15725