Reference numberLH001284BDescriptionConvict built from 1861 to 1865, the north west section of the building was designed by Lieutenant Colonel E Y W Henderson as the lunatic asylum for the colony. Sections designed by George Temple Poole, the Government Architect, were added from 1886 to 1894. From 1909 to 1942, the building was used as an old women's home, and in 1942 to 1945 as headquarters for the United States Forces stationed in Fremantle. Restoration took place from 1970 to 1972.Date1974Photograph FormatPhotographDigital ItemYes
RestrictionsContact the Fremantle History CentreConditions of useYou may print copy or download images for private research. This image may be reproduced for non-commercial purposes with acknowledgement e.g. [Image courtesy of City of Fremantle History Centre - Reference number]. To obtain copies for commercial purposes or of a higher resolution contact the Fremantle History Centre via email lhc@fremantle.wa.gov.auLocationPhotographic Collection
Click on the image to add a tag or press ESC to cancel
Fremantle Museum and Arts Centre (1974). City of Fremantle Local History Centre, accessed 23/01/2026, https://history.fremantle.wa.gov.au/nodes/view/16563