Marine Terrace
DESCRIPTION
Named afterMarine Terrace from Anglesea Point to Essex Street, derives its name from its situation on the waterfront. Before the railway to Robb Jetty was laid down, the roadway, which was much higher than sea level, followed the line of the beach and was protected by a high stone sea wall with a coping, which extended almost to Essex Street. From there a row of piles resisted the encroachments of the sea on the road, which from that street to South Street was named Fitzgerald Terrace. (Captain Fitzgerald R.N., Governor, 1848-1853). The continuation to Douro Road is shown on a survey of 1844 as being in the suburban area, South Street representing the southern boundary of the Town. It was named Wellington Terrace after the Great Duke. These last two names have disappeared and the whole south esplanade is now Marine Terrace. It was along this road that the camels were driven after disembarkation at the old long jetty. A quarantine station for camels arriving by sea was established on 18/11/1896, and before being sent to the Goldfields, the keepers used to camp with their animals at South Beach. All the local children took great delight in going there after school and incensing the Afghans by calling out 'ooshta', which was the signal for the camels to kneel, whatevery they might be doing at the moment. [Caldwell, K.]. The change from Wellington Terrace to Marine Terrace published in Government Gazette on 14/09/1979. Wellington Terrace disappears from rate recorfds after 12925/1926. Not listed 1926/27.
Publication
RELATED
SuburbFremantle
Marine Terrace. City of Fremantle Local History Centre, accessed 18/03/2026, https://history.fremantle.wa.gov.au/nodes/view/21953





