Stirling Highway
DESCRIPTION
Named afterIn honour of Captain James Stirling. Stirling Highway was originally constructed in 1850 by gangs of English convicts chained together, cutting their way through the scrub in atrocious conditions. In the 1850s the Perth to Fremantle road, which became Stirling Highway, was made up of felled jarrah trees cut sectionally and laid flat. Because they resembled huge pieces of cheese they were given the name 'Hampton's cheeses' after Governor Hampton. Limestone and gravel were put on top and in to make a thoroughfare. During the 1880s corner shops started up along the highway with people travelling along on horseback. Mail would be taken from Perth to a point half-way to Fremantle, where the rider would meet his Fremantle conterpart and exchange mailbags. The half-way point today is opposite Langsford Street, Claremont, there is a red mail box there to mark the spot. See alsoVictoria AvenueDescriptionThe name was first suggested by the State Archives Board (Dr J.S. Battye, Chairman) 31.03.1930 "as a memorial to the first Governor of the State". Previously named Perth-Fremantle Road, Claremont Avenue, Perth-Fremantle Road, Mason Street & Waldeck Street. The change of name was approved by the Minister for Lands (C.G. Latham) 29.12.1931 and applied to the road from Winthrop Avenue (formerly Ferdinand Avenue) to Boundary Road, Mosman Park. Gazetted 23.03.1932. Portion from Boundary Road to North Fremantle Bridge, previously Victoria Avenue, gazetted as Stirling Highway 25.09.1936.
RELATED
SuburbFremantleNorth Fremantle
Stirling Highway. City of Fremantle Local History Centre, accessed 18/03/2026, https://history.fremantle.wa.gov.au/nodes/view/22145





