Essex Street, 14, Fremantle WA 6160
DESCRIPTION
Heritage TitleSHOP & HOUSE (DEMOLISHED), 12-14 ESSEX STREETAddressEssex Street, 12-14, Fremantle WA 6160Geo tag[1] Heritage Place No20633Construction Commenced1880Year Of Demolition1995Statement Of SignificanceShop & House, 12-13 Essex Street, demolished 1995, is significant as a site because it represents part of the early development of Fremantle, serving the houses in the neighbourhood as a bakery from as early as 1869; it has historic significance for its associations with early owner James Back, who was the son of Edward, Rottnest's first pilot, and a storekeeper and customs agent; and it has social value as a place of employment since the 1860s.ConditionDEMOLISHEDHistoryEssex Street was included in the 1832 town plan. It is named after the English county, as per Norfolk and Suffolk Streets. Lots 170-182 were soon taken up (Nos. 5-21). The buildings in Essex Street, unlike those in High Street, were not replaced in the 1890s boom, and those that remain extant date from the convict era of development. According to Council rates records, a house, shop and bakery existed on Lot 179 Essex Street in 1880. It appears however, that the bakery may have existed as early as 1869, as J.K. Hitchcock in the 'Fremantle Times' 16/05/1919, mentions that John Brown carried on a bakery business in Essex Street in 1869 which was later owned/occupied by James Back. (James Back was the son of Edward, Rottnest's first pilot. James was a storekeeper and customs agent.) In 1880, however, the land was owned by W. Chidlow and the house, shop and bakery were occupied/operated by Samuel Pearse, a baker. By 1885, an additional house and sheds had been erected on the lot and ownership passed to James Back. In 1896, 'stables' first appear in the Council rate book entries for lot 179. A Metropolitan Sewerage plan dated September 1907 clearly shows the buildings on the lot. These include a brick dwelling with front/back verandahs, facing Essex Street, a brick duplex with a front verandah along the boundary of the lot and a series of galvanised iron stables encompassing the other three sides of the lot. James Back continued to own/occupy lot 179 until 1927, when ownership passed to Laura Jane Webb. In 1949-50 the property passed from the Webb family to George Evans and Company, paint manufacturers. Nu-Tred Tyre Company then acquired the property between 1952 and 1956. It was then owned by National Tyre Service who demolished buildings and built a new factory in 1959. R J Davies carried out the work at a cost of £16, 000. In 1983 the property was acquired by Donaldson & Murdoch Investments for conversion into shops, as part of the business growth during the America's Cup 1986/87. A survey and drawings in 1995 by Oldfield Knott Architects shows a single storey red brick and skillion roof building and a carpark (No. 10), containing several small retail outlets. The building was demolished in 1995. Currently (2013), part of Esplanade Hotel. Physical DescriptionDEMOLISHEDAssociationJames BackPlace UseOriginal Use – COMMERCIAL: Shop\Retail Store {single}Present Use – RESIDENTIAL: Conjoined residenceIntegrity/AuthenticityDEMOLISHEDPlace TypeIndividual Building or Group
Local Government Statutory Heritage Listings
Local Government Statutory Listing CustodianCity of FremantleLocal Government Statutory Listing TypeHeritage ListLocal Government Statutory Listing StatusYesLocal Government Statutory Listing Date8/03/2007
Non-Statutory Listings and Surveys
Non-statutory Listings CustodianCity of FremantleNon-statutory Listings TypeMunicipal InventoryNon-statutory Listings Grading18/09/2000Non-statutory Listings DateHistoric/Archaeological Site
PARENT PLACE
Parent Place No22576
RELATED
Essex Street, 14, Fremantle WA 6160. City of Fremantle Local History Centre, accessed 04/08/2026, https://history.fremantle.wa.gov.au/nodes/view/27576



