Essex Street, 19, Fremantle WA 6160
DESCRIPTION
Heritage TitleMills & Co Building (fmr)Address19 Essex Street FREMANTLE WA 6160Geo tag[1] Heritage Place No3708Construction Commenced1905Construction MaterialRoof – METAL: ZincalumeWall – BRICK: Painted BrickWall – BRICK: Pointed BrickFormer W.A. Heritage ThemesOCCUPATIONS: Manufacturing & processingStatement Of SignificanceExtensively altered single storey commercial building that contributes to the Old Port City streetscape. The place is of social significance as evidenced by its recording by the National Trust.ArchaeologyConditionGoodHistoryEssex Street was included in the 1832 town plan. It is named after the English county, as per Norfolk and Suffolk Streets. Lots 170-182 were soon taken up (Nos. 5-21). The buildings in Essex Street, unlike those in High Street, were not replaced in the 1890s boom, and those that remain extant date from the convict era of development. Frederick Instone was born in StafFordshire, England, and arrived in Western Australia in 1889 under a three year agreement with William Sandover and Co. On completing his contract, he opened a small plumbing business in Croke Street in 1892. Expanding business interests enabled him to purchase Lot 170 Essex Street in 1904-05, (previously vacant land, owned by G. W. Davies). Instone applied to Council to build a factory and offices. Plans were approved and passed on 7 August 1906 for new buildings to the value of £865. The brick office and galvanised iron store/factory was shown clearly on a Metropolitan Sewerage plan dated September 1907, and featured in print No. 834a in the Local History Collection. The W.A. Mining Building and Engineering Journal (23/06/1906, p. 18.) records that "Mr J.F. Allen has prepared plans for a factory to be erected in Essex Street, Fremantle by Messrs Instone and Co. The building will cover an area of 90ft and 90ft, and contain a showroom and office in the front constructed of brick, while the factory at the rear will be built with iron". The contractor was Mr C. Moore. In December 1913, plans to extend the buildings towards Norfolk Lane were approved and passed by Council. The work was valued at £1, 000 and completed in 1914-15. The new section was erected by Mr Instone for Mr Mills & Co, (merchants) and comprised a shop and showroom. An advertisement in the Christmas edition of the ‘Western Mail’ shows the completed building. J.K. Hitchcock described Instone & Co's fine factory and offices as the "principal modern improvement" in Essex Street when writing for the Fremantle Times in 1919. As well as his business interests, Mr Instone was also prominent in social activities, and as a young man was connected with dramatic and musical organisations. In c1932, Mr Instone retired and sold his business interests to his partner Charles McMillan Purdie. Mr Instone died in 1934 and was buried at Fremantle Cemetery. The business continued to operate under the well-known name of Instone & Co until the early 1970s. On 29 January 1941, plans drawn by Allen and Nicholas were submitted to council for additions and alterations to the Instone factory. These were approved and passed by council on 1 February 1941 and included: the erection of a new building next to the existing one (No. 19) in Essex Street; the demolition of existing stone buildings at the rear of the site; removal of portion of lean-to in front yard; removal of existing front wall. The work was completed by W. Todd of Claremont for £3, 900. On 25 November 1954 Instone & Co submitted plans for the erection of a tubular steel structure at the rear of their premises. Further plans were submitted for No. 19 on 16 December 1974. The work was completed by 22 December 1975. It is known that No. 19 Essex Street was built after 1918, as a cottage is shown on the site on print 770B dated 6 December 1918. As at 2002, 19 is 'Q-Zar Get Inside the Game' and Essex St Pool & Snooker. Also at No. 19 is 'Istanbul Cuisine,' a Turkish restaurant, and Fiorelli Café. No. 21 is Fremantle Foodtown, established in 1995. Previously, it was Tolcon's Bakery and a café. Physical DescriptionSingle storey painted brick and zincalume gable hipped roof building (numbers 19a-21) with a simple parapet and large pediments above a stucco cornice. The building is divided into two by a pilaster, number 19a has a veranda awning and number 21 has a Colorbond bull nosed veranda supported by posts and timber brackets (neither is probably original). The buildings have large adjoined buildings to the rear, probably constructed at a later date. Single storey rendered building (number 19) with a zero setback from the pavement. The simple parapet has two pediments; one triangular and one semi-rounded, engaged pilasters reach height of the building to the parapet, along side of the pediments, they are topped with spheres. There is a corrugated iron bull nosed veranda awning supported by metal brackets (probably not original). There are two large recessed entrances and one with timber bi-fold timber doors (probably not original).AssociationAllen and Nicholas, 1941 alterationsC MooreFrederick InstoneJoseph Francis Allen (1869-1933)Place UseOriginal Use – COMMERCIAL: Office or Administration BldgOriginal Use – COMMERCIAL: WarehousePresent Use – COMMERCIAL: Office or Administration BldgIntegrity/AuthenticityPlace TypeIndividual Building or Group
Local Government Statutory Heritage Listings
Local Government Statutory Listing CustodianCity of FremantleLocal Government Statutory Listing TypeHeritage ListLocal Government Statutory Listing StatusYesLocal Government Statutory Listing Date8/03/2007
Local Government Non-Statutory Local Heritage Survey
Local Government Non-Statutory Local Heritage Survey CustodianCity of FremantleLocal Government Non-Statutory Local Heritage Survey Date18/09/2000Local Government Non-Statutory Listing Local Heritage Survey Management CategoryLevel 2
Non-Statutory Listings and Surveys
Non-statutory Listings CustodianNational TrustNon-statutory Listings TypeClassified by the National TrustNon-statutory Listings Date2/11/1981
PARENT PLACE
Parent Place No22576
RELATED
INTERNAL
Heritage EntryYes
Essex Street, 19, Fremantle WA 6160. City of Fremantle Local History Centre, accessed 19/03/2026, https://history.fremantle.wa.gov.au/nodes/view/27593



