Reference numberE000188DescriptionJ &W Bateman's, hardware and plumbing supplies, warehouses, etc occupied both sides of Mouat St through to Henry St, including lots 37-38 Mouat St, lots 50-54 Mouat St and lots 67-72, No 47 Henry St. Original owners were the Bateman family, who by 1859 the brothers, John and Walter were the Colony's leading importers and exporters, with their own fleet of sailing ships, becoming the biggest ship-owner in WA. In the early 1990s the building was converted for use as part of Notre Dame University. Currently (2013), Notre Dame University.Date1985PhotographerWatkins, SkipPhotograph FormatPhotographDigital ItemYes
RestrictionsContact the Fremantle History CentreConditions of useYou may print copy or download images for private research. This image may be reproduced for non-commercial purposes with acknowledgement e.g. [Image courtesy of City of Fremantle History Centre - Reference number]. To obtain copies for commercial purposes or of a higher resolution contact the Fremantle History Centre via email lhc@fremantle.wa.gov.auLocationPhotographic Collection
Click on the image to add a tag or press ESC to cancel
J & W Bateman at 47 Henry Street (1985). City of Fremantle Local History Centre, accessed 14/01/2026, https://history.fremantle.wa.gov.au/nodes/view/8631