Reference numberE000203DescriptionAdelaide St is one of the earliest streets of Fremantle, appearing in the 1833 survey. It is named for Queen Adelaide, consort of William IV. Lot 330 originally held a store/dwelling owned by Doonan family from c1890-1909, then Cook family, 1909-1913, followed by purchase of lot by Wright and Bradshaw in 1913. The 'Woolworth's Building' was built c1908 by J McNeece Architect with builder J. J. Ashman. Ceilings by Wunderlich (pressed metal). The building was Bradshaw's from 1914-1931, a drapers, clothiers and house furnishers. Woolworths from 1931, and various other shops have occupied building. On 12/10/1977 a steel fire escape was installed at rear by Oldham Boas Ednie-Brown & partners. In 1980 the building was bought by Perth Building Society (PBS). In 1984 internal alterations and fa?â•‘ade treatment costing $630, 000 were carried out.Date1985PhotographerWatkins, SkipPhotograph FormatPhotographDigital ItemYes
RestrictionsContact the Fremantle History CentreConditions of useYou may print copy or download images for private research. This image may be reproduced for non-commercial purposes with acknowledgement e.g. [Image courtesy of City of Fremantle History Centre - Reference number]. To obtain copies for commercial purposes or of a higher resolution contact the Fremantle History Centre via email lhc@fremantle.wa.gov.auLocationPhotographic Collection
Click on the image to add a tag or press ESC to cancel
Commercial Building at 4-16 Adelaide Street (1985). City of Fremantle Local History Centre, accessed 20/03/2026, https://history.fremantle.wa.gov.au/nodes/view/8646