Reference numberE000227DescriptionThe property was originally owned by Capt. Edward Henry Fothergill, merchant and mariner. The trustees of his estate undertook the construction of the building known as the Fothergill Building (later, until 2010, known as Adelec Buildings). As the architect F W Burwell invited tenders for new premises to be erected and subsequently the building was commenced in 1906 and was built by J. McGrackin. The building covered an area of 90 feet by 65 feet and was constructed with a bluestone base and brick walls. The High Street frontage consisted of large shops and the entrance to the offices was through a tiled entrance hall. Mr. F. W. Burwell, architect, was first listed in 1896 in the partnership of Ross & Burwell in Perth and Fremantle, after having previously practiced in Melbourne. In 1900, he was listed in his own practice in Mouat Street, and the following year he was listed in partnership as Burwell & McNeece, also in Fremantle. Burwell was still in practice in Fremantle in 1912 and was responsible for a wide variety of buildings including; shops and offices, private residences and churches. Two archival photos show a portion of the original verandah and a decorative pediment which are no longer extant. A Heritage Assessment was prepared in July 2010 by the City of Fremantle for a DA submission to Council for replacing the existing awning with a verandah and for the building to be known again as the ÈàFothergill Building'. The name was changed accordingly from Adelec Buildings back to Fothergill's Building in the MHI database in 2010.Date1985PhotographerWatkins, SkipPhotograph FormatPhotographDigital ItemYes
RestrictionsContact the Fremantle History CentreConditions of useYou may print copy or download images for private research. This image may be reproduced for non-commercial purposes with acknowledgement e.g. [Image courtesy of City of Fremantle History Centre - Reference number]. To obtain copies for commercial purposes or of a higher resolution contact the Fremantle History Centre via email lhc@fremantle.wa.gov.auLocationPhotographic Collection
Click on the image to add a tag or press ESC to cancel
Adlec Buildings at 32 High Street (1985). City of Fremantle Local History Centre, accessed 20/03/2026, https://history.fremantle.wa.gov.au/nodes/view/8670