Reference numberE000236DescriptionAs at 1880 this site was occupied by a branch of the National Bank, previously a shop (1868). In 1886 the branch relocated to lot 30 High St opposite Sandovers' store. In late 1886 the National Hotel opened. The site and building was then owned by J. J. Higham, a local merchant and businessman. The building underwent a major reconstruction in 1895 and again in 1902 by Michael and Daniel Mulcahy. In 1953 Allen & Nicholas carried out works, including erection of suspended awnings. On 15/2/1975 the top floor was destroyed by fire. In 1995 Michael Patroni architect carried out reconstruction of original first floor balconies. The facade was renovated 2001-2002. Prior to the completion of development works, on the 13th March 2007, the hotel was vandalized and set on fire which seriously gutted the interior and the roof, however the exterior remains. The place then changed ownership and in 2009, restoration and adaptation was commenced.Date1985PhotographerWatkins, SkipPhotograph FormatPhotographDigital ItemYes
RestrictionsContact the Fremantle History CentreConditions of useYou may print copy or download images for private research. This image may be reproduced for non-commercial purposes with acknowledgement e.g. [Image courtesy of City of Fremantle History Centre - Reference number]. To obtain copies for commercial purposes or of a higher resolution contact the Fremantle History Centre via email lhc@fremantle.wa.gov.auLocationPhotographic Collection