Reference numberE000820-01DescriptionIn 1958, the old Fremantle Lunatic Asylum was threatened with demolition and was saved largely through the efforts of Sir Frederick Samson, then Mayor of Fremantle. His vision for the site was to establish both a Mariners' Museum and an Arts Centre. The building was restored and the museum was completed in 1970. Fremantle Arts Centre opened in 1973, with Ian Templeman as Founding Director. On July 31, 2009, the Fremantle History Museum was closed and the objects and artefacts on display moved to the WA Museum's Welshpool collections and research centre. The Arts Centre then expanded its services to occupy the whole building.Date2008PhotographerNicholson, Gareth Photograph FormatPhotographDigital ItemYes
RestrictionsContact the Fremantle History CentreConditions of useYou may print copy or download images for private research. This image may be reproduced for non-commercial purposes with acknowledgement e.g. [Image courtesy of City of Fremantle History Centre - Reference number]. To obtain copies for commercial purposes or of a higher resolution contact the Fremantle History Centre via email lhc@fremantle.wa.gov.auLocationPhotographic Collection