Blacksmith and Waterside Worker [oral history] / / interviewer: Alice Smith
DESCRIPTION
AuthorCann, George, 1916-1999; Smith, AliceDescriptionInterview with George Cann. Family history -- Father Frank established blacksmith's shop behind Princess Theatre, Leake St. -- Moved to Joyce Bros Lane -- George helped his father until war service in 1940 -- Returned to assist ill father who died 1946 -- George carried on business until 1956 -- Difficulties in obtaining supplies of horse shoes and other materials -- Work as a lumper on Fremantle wharf -- Charitable work by Lumpers -- Conditions on wharf -- Other blacksmiths: Percy Smith -- Father's service on Melville Roads Board 1921-1924, 1928-1949 -- Problems of shoeing horsesImprint1990Collation1 sound cassette (44 min.) + Guide to contents (1 leaf) + Collateral (4 leaves)LanguageEnglishDate Published1990NotesInterview conducted by Alice Smith on 26th June 1990 Access: OpenContent NoteSUPPORT MATERIAL: Photocopies of: Newspaper clippings: "Smithy shows his red-hot talent", "Local lacrosse trio on top of the world" (2 leaves) ; Extract from "The City of Melville : from bushland to expanding metropolis" / Malcolm Uren (2 leaves) ; See also B/CANN [pamphlet file] Fremantle City Library Local History CollectionDewey ClassOH/ CANAudio FormatCassetteDigital ItemYes
COPIES
Barcode30118000400618LocationOral History Collection
Request AccessPlease email the Fremantle History Centre: lhc@fremantle.wa.gov.au
Cann, George, 1916-1999; Smith, Alice, Blacksmith and Waterside Worker [oral history] / / interviewer: Alice Smith. City of Fremantle Local History Centre, accessed 15/12/2025, https://history.fremantle.wa.gov.au/nodes/view/9306